Mobile SEO is brilliant in terms of local businesses as people can call on this information in an emergency and find a local business so solve their problem. Finding a local car mechanics when your car has broken down, health for example, prescription must be easy to find on the mobile phone as people will need a quick fix. Mobile SEO can use localized SEO techniques, such as using Google Maps and other local SEO techniques to get up the rankings on Google. This will generate some very quick conversions as people need these sorts of services. Ecommerce solutions can also benefit from Mobile SEO with many people wanting to purchase things, such as theatre tickets, while they are out and about.
Google also took initiative into mobile industry when they allow you to start a Adowrds campaign on mobile devices. In this regard, it also launched “Mobile Keyword Tool” as well.
Google published “We are happy to let you know that the Keyword Tool now offers keyword suggestions for Mobile campaigns. Just access the Keyword Tool from within any mobile-only ad group and you’ll get shorter, mobile-device specific results. (Note that, at this time, mobile suggestions are not available in the standalone version of the tool so you’ll need to be logged into an account directly.)”
Factors that need to be care in Mobile Website SEO:
1. Apply general on-site optimization techniques: No doubt that SEO for mobile website is different than a general website but you can apply few basic techniques to your site. Use all the SEO “on-page optimization” practices that you know:
- Title tag optimization
- Metas Optimization
- Uses of heading tags
- URL optimization Anchor Optimization
2. Ensure you key content is placed in the top part of the page as the users and bots will find it easy.
3. Your website should be crawl-able by Mobile search engines. Here’s the list of mobile search engines:
- Google XHTML http://www.google.com/xhtml
- Google Mobile http://www.google.com/mobile/
- Yahoo Mobile http://mobile.yahoo.com
- MSN/Bing http://home.mobile.live.com/Home.mvc
- AOL Mobile http://mobile.aolsearch.com
- ABPHONE http://www.abphone.com
4. Also you can submit your website to Yahoo Site Explorer Mobile Submit page. Here it’s:
5. See how your website is opening in mobile browser: http://ready.mobi
6. CSS Tips:
- Websites using tables for layout will not render well on mobile handsets. The site must use CSS for layout.
- Use Valid XHTML Coding. WML is the specific language for mobile users however the more usable is XHTML so here are the tips for XHTML. Mobile search engines have more trouble in parsing the webpage if it’s having invalid code. So you can reduce the risk of not opening the website by validate the webpage. You can validate through W3C Validator.
- Character encoding should be UTF-8
- The most important information of your site must be right at the top of the page as it can be very time-consuming for browsers to read through.
- You have very limited screen real estate. About 2×3 inches or so consider the size in mind.
- if you are a more robust e-commerce site, consider creating an m-commerce site (mobile site) with:
- Mobile galleries
- Product catalogs and shopping basket
- Billing management
- Ease of use/login
- All images should be striped out, unless they are must.
- Remove all advertising as you already have limited screen space.
- If you don’t need it, hide it. Remove any Google Friend Connect, Facebook Fan Box or other third party services. Focus on your content.
- Remove Flash, Java and any plug-in content unless absolutely necessary.
- All in all, simplify.
7. Maximum total page size recommended is 20 kilobytes.
8. Accessibility: In order for a site to work on a wireless handset, it must adhere strictly to website accessibility guidelines, as set out by the W3C http://www.w3.org/WAI/
9. Keep on Top of Mobile Technologies – The technology continues to improve and get better. Avoid using intensive presentation methods such as Flash and Ajax. Again keep the design simple. While we expect technologies to improve, you want to ensure that your mobile site will load fast and provide an output that is useful to the user.
10. Optimize for Local Search – ensuring that your site is well optimized for local search, will mean that people should be able to find you when they are looking for local resources. Update your profile and include links to your mobile site (if you have one) and make it easy for users to find your business and more importantly “reach out and touch your business”. It is not just about the Yellow Pages anymore.
1. Mobile Website Design Resources:
- Mobile Awesomeness – www.mobileawesomeness.com
- MobiSite Galore – www.mobisitegalore.com
- Accuracast – http://mobile.accuracast.com
2. Some of the popular Mobile Analytics:
- Bango Analytics
- GetMobile Analytics by Quattro Wireless
3. W3C mobileOK Basic Tests 1.0 = http://www.w3.org/TR/mobileOK-basic10-tests/
4. WordPress Mobile Plugin: A tool that addresses issues with any type of handset: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wordpress-mobile-pack/
iPhone & Android phones face less troubles in displaying the non-SEO WebPage.