During weekend, I read this article on jeffbullas and it was brilliant. It’ll tell you why & how social media is the future of Web. Here we go:
There are 2 billion of us who are connected to the internet and have been distracted by social multi-media networking sites that are generating astounding amounts of content with alluring high definition images and videos.
One cannot run away from their charm as they entice you to log in when you are out and about with either with your laptop, iPad or smart phone.
Have a look on stats below at the steep curve of the user growth rate in all age ranges and demographics, and the increasing popularity of social networking into every facet of work, play and life in general. One can’t disagree anymore that social media hasn’t changed forever how we interact and connect online.
- One in every nine people on Earth is on Facebook ( This number is calculated by dividing the planets’ now 7 billion people by Facebook’s 750 million users)
- People spend 700 billion minutes per month on Facebook
- Each Facebook user spends on average 15 hours and 33 minutes a month on the site
- More than 250 million people use Facebook through their cellphoness
- More than 2.5 million websites have integrated with Facebook
- 30 billion pieces of content is shared on Facebook each month
- 300,000 users helped translate Facebook into 70 languages
- People on Facebook install 20 million “Apps” every day
- YouTube has 490 million unique users who visit every month (as of February 2011)
- YouTube generates 92 billion page views per month, excluding those videos viewed on phones and embedded in websites
- Users on YouTube spend a total of 2.9 billion hours per month (326,294 years)
- Wikipedia hosts 17 million articles
- Wikipedia authors total over 91,000 contributors
- People upload 3,000 images to Flickr (the photo sharing social media site) every minute
- Flickr hosts over 5 billion images
- 190 million average Tweets per day occur on Twitter (May 2011)
- Twitter is handling 1.6 billion queries per day
- Twitter is adding nearly 500,000 users a day
- Google+ has more than 25 million users
- Google+ was the fastest social network to reach 10 million users at 16 days (Twitter took 780 days and Facebook 852 days)
One cannot run away from their charm as they entice you to log in when you are out and about with either with your laptop, iPad or smart phone. There has been a huge expansion of social enterprise as well that helps track customer engagement with social media.