Mobile SEO is brilliant in terms of local businesses as people can call on this information in an emergency and find a local business so solve their problem. Finding a local car mechanics when your car has broken down, health for example, prescription must be easy to find on the mobile phone as people will need a quick fix. Mobile SEO can use localized SEO techniques, such as using Google Maps and other local SEO techniques to get up the rankings on Google. This will generate some very quick conversions as people need these sorts of services. Ecommerce solutions can also benefit from Mobile SEO with many people wanting to purchase things, such as theatre tickets, while they are out and about.
Google also took initiative into mobile industry when they allow you to start a Adowrds campaign on mobile devices. In this regard, it also launched “Mobile Keyword Tool” as well.
Google published “We are happy to let you know that the Keyword Tool now offers keyword suggestions for Mobile campaigns. Just access the Keyword Tool from within any mobile-only ad group and you’ll get shorter, mobile-device specific results. (Note that, at this time, mobile suggestions are not available in the standalone version of the tool so you’ll need to be logged into an account directly.)”
Factors that need to be care in Mobile Website SEO:
1. Apply general on-site optimization techniques: No doubt that SEO for mobile website is different than a general website but you can apply few basic techniques to your site. Use all the SEO “on-page optimization” practices that you know:
- Title tag optimization
- Metas Optimization
- Uses of heading tags
- URL optimization Anchor Optimization
2. Ensure you key content is placed in the top part of the page as the users and bots will find it easy.
3. Your website should be crawl-able by Mobile search engines. Here’s the list of mobile search engines:
- Google XHTML http://www.google.com/xhtml
- Google Mobile http://www.google.com/mobile/
- Yahoo Mobile http://mobile.yahoo.com
- MSN/Bing http://home.mobile.live.com/Home.mvc
- AOL Mobile http://mobile.aolsearch.com
- ABPHONE http://www.abphone.com
4. Also you can submit your website to Yahoo Site Explorer Mobile Submit page. Here it’s:
5. See how your website is opening in mobile browser: http://ready.mobi
6. CSS Tips:
- Websites using tables for layout will not render well on mobile handsets. The site must use CSS for layout.
- Use Valid XHTML Coding. WML is the specific language for mobile users however the more usable is XHTML so here are the tips for XHTML. Mobile search engines have more trouble in parsing the webpage if it’s having invalid code. So you can reduce the risk of not opening the website by validate the webpage. You can validate through W3C Validator.
- Character encoding should be UTF-8
- The most important information of your site must be right at the top of the page as it can be very time-consuming for browsers to read through.
- You have very limited screen real estate. About 2×3 inches or so consider the size in mind.
- if you are a more robust e-commerce site, consider creating an m-commerce site (mobile site) with:
- Mobile galleries
- Product catalogs and shopping basket
- Billing management
- Ease of use/login
- All images should be striped out, unless they are must.
- Remove all advertising as you already have limited screen space.
- If you don’t need it, hide it. Remove any Google Friend Connect, Facebook Fan Box or other third party services. Focus on your content.
- Remove Flash, Java and any plug-in content unless absolutely necessary.
- All in all, simplify.
7. Maximum total page size recommended is 20 kilobytes.
8. Accessibility: In order for a site to work on a wireless handset, it must adhere strictly to website accessibility guidelines, as set out by the W3C http://www.w3.org/WAI/
9. Keep on Top of Mobile Technologies – The technology continues to improve and get better. Avoid using intensive presentation methods such as Flash and Ajax. Again keep the design simple. While we expect technologies to improve, you want to ensure that your mobile site will load fast and provide an output that is useful to the user.
10. Optimize for Local Search – ensuring that your site is well optimized for local search, will mean that people should be able to find you when they are looking for local resources. Update your profile and include links to your mobile site (if you have one) and make it easy for users to find your business and more importantly “reach out and touch your business”. It is not just about the Yellow Pages anymore.
1. Mobile Website Design Resources:
- Mobile Awesomeness – www.mobileawesomeness.com
- MobiSite Galore – www.mobisitegalore.com
- Accuracast – http://mobile.accuracast.com
2. Some of the popular Mobile Analytics:
- Bango Analytics
- GetMobile Analytics by Quattro Wireless
3. W3C mobileOK Basic Tests 1.0 = http://www.w3.org/TR/mobileOK-basic10-tests/
4. WordPress Mobile Plugin: A tool that addresses issues with any type of handset: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wordpress-mobile-pack/
iPhone & Android phones face less troubles in displaying the non-SEO WebPage.
Hi. The blog is very interesting. I get lots of information. Thanks
Nowadays, you can use your phone to browse through the internet and for website owners we should optimize our site in a way that even those that are using their phones will see your site the way they can see it on their PC. Big websites or websites that is full of flash and images are a bit hard to open on some phones so you need to optimize it well after all the site speed is now considered as part of the algorithm on ranking your sites on Google SERPs.
Good blog and good article on the mobile website SEO tips and guide. Good information sharing this. Thank you.
These are great tips. Especially today when contents is starting to be more available in mobile form. Thanks for sharing these.
Thanks for posting such useful blog. I’ve been reading his blog with much interest. He’s certainly raised my awareness.Post is Well Organized and Informative about website design.
Amazing information from complete digital marketing stand point. I still feel that we should have a different version for mobile users of every website. The mobile version could always be light and fast (without flash n ajax) and more geo targeted if required. We can redirect mobile visits to it without compromising on the looks for web users.
Hope havent missed if u already mentioned these things here Ankush 🙂
Good posts on this blog make me read this blog again and again i liked this blog very much This blog has got all the useful stuff that i wanted to know about.
Thanks a lot for your llovely comments patilamit, SEOP & techg. Will keep posting such kind of posts in future….
Getting links from site with authority, if done correctly might be helpful in optimizing, but I think having good content and informative comments or blogs that we post on attract users. Remember, SEO is the process of improving the visibility of a web page in search engines, so in order to gain visitor, you must have a good PR strategy through creating quality write ups. White label SEO reseller and professional bloggers makes sure that they produce creative write ups, whether comments or blogs, and they analyze well the keywords that they will use so it will be easy to search, and be more visible to search engines.
Finally, I located the information I was looking for. I have been doing research on this subject, and for four days I keep finding sites that are supposed to have what I am searching for, only to be disappointed with the lack of what I had to have. I wish I would have located your web-site sooner! I had about 40% of what I needed and your web-site has that, and the rest of what I had to have to complete my research. Thank you and I will report back on how it goes!
Finally, I located the information I was looking for. I have been doing research on this subject, and for two days I keep finding websites that are supposed to have what I’m looking for, only to be discouraged with the lack of what I had to have. I wish I could have located your website sooner! I had about 30% of what I needed and your website has that, and the rest of what I had to have to complete my research. Thank you and I will report back on how it goes!
;p i like your response.
Great tips. Thanks for sharing these. These will surely help me because I have recently launched a campaign to target mobile users. Thanks again.
Pleasure Gus, Marie, Margarito, Winona, and Eila.
very important pointes
Great information! I’ve been looking for something like this for a while now. Thanks!
Finally, an issue that I am passionate about. I have looked for information of this caliber for the last several hours. Your site is greatly appreciated.
This blog is AWESOME! I’m so glad I was surfing Yahootoday and found it. It was just what I was looking for! I have been doing this for awhile now and this even tought me something. Keep up the awesome work. I’ll be back to read more!
thanks rededgevy and justin
Even though technology has taken vast leaps, but search engines do not feel the creative beauty of movies, designs and sounds. They are only text-driven.
well this is one way of doing it i suppose but nice work keep it up
I’ve recently started a blog, the information you provide on this site has helped me tremendously. Thank you for all of your time & work.
Hi, I really enjoyed reading your blog post. Thanks for taking the time to write it
Hello! This is my first comment here so I just wanted to give a quick shout out and say I genuinely enjoy reading through your posts. Can you suggest any other blogs/websites/forums that go over the same topics? Thanks a lot!
Hi, thanks for providing such information. But i wanna ask if i want to submit press release then how can i submit through mobile?
i currently submit it through Press Release Submitter Software . http://products.softsolutionslimited.com/news_publisher/index.htm
Can anyone tell me if i want to use this software on mobile shall i able to do it ?????
Excellent information with some very helpful links especially ready.mobi which is a very good tool for checking how your site would perform on a mobile device.
these tips are really useful 🙂
Excellent site. It helps to develop your site easily .This site is very useful site.
Many optimizers on the traditional WWW do not consider using valid code as a best practice. Mobile search engines however may have more trouble digesting invalid code. Be safe! If you validate, mobile search engines won’t have any trouble with your site.
My coder is trying to convince me to move to .net from PHP. I have always disliked the idea because of the expenses. But he’s tryiong none the less. I’ve been using WordPress on various websites for about a year and am anxious about switching to another platform. I have heard fantastic things about blogengine.net. Is there a way I can import all my wordpress content into it? Any kind of help would be really appreciated!|
just 20kb page how is it possible ??
please guide how we can decrease total page size upto 20kb …